Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Defying our negative feelings

I feel...

A feeling can be defined as an emotional state of mind that leads to a reaction, an idea or belief, especially a vague or irrational one, an expression of emotion or sensitivity. 

Just because you may feel (a process that begins in the mind) a certain way, does not mean that the way you feel is the truth or reality. 
Pick at your feelings know when the way you feel is out of alignment with what God says in his word. Declare the word of God out loud, "Lord I may not feel that you are with me but I know that you are, because your word says you will never leave me or forsake me". 


The enemy has a way of using how we feel to defy us, trick us into reacting to our situations, with doubt and negativity. 

Think about this for a moment: You may feel depressed, but are you?... You may feel that you aren't worthy of Gods love or Grace, but is this how God feels about you?...
What negative thoughts are you struggling with, are they true?
God said in his word, you have a sound mind. Declare his word by saying, "lord I have a sound mind, I choose to not let these thoughts defy me and make me feel down". We have to practice declaring and speaking the word of God out loud. In order to speak the word, I encourage you today to get in the word. Do research, listen to podcasts and YouTube videos on the biblical teachings. Get to know God in a real way. Practice believing his word standing on his promising as outlined in his word, let it wash and cleanse you.

Some of Gods promises in his word towards us are:
...he will never leave you or forsake you... Deuteronomy 31: 8
All things work out for Good to them that love the lord...Romans 8:28
... Be confident of this, that the lord who has begun a good work in me is able to finish it... Philippians 1:6
If you love me keep my commandments. And I will pray the father and he will give you another helper.... John 14: 15-16
Knowing who we are in Christ is important when we know who we are and realize the promises in his word we are able to live a life of freedom. Lord I may feel guilty of sins I committed but I know that I am forgiven cause I asked you for forgiveness. When you confess your weaknesses to him there is no condemnation. We have to realize when the enemy is trying to take us in that place of self pity. A place of worry where we constantly "feel" that we are not right with God. We are new creatures in Christ but we are also asked to take up our cross daily which means everyday as children of God we are faced with challenges, issues of old and as we stay constant in prayer and his word, we are brought closer to kingdom principles and characteristics that God outlines for us.

To fight our "feelings" we daily have to commit to:

1. Being more conscious of your feelings: get into the word know Gods mind to help counter these feelings out loud. Let the word wash and scrub us, by releasing negative feelings. In the midst of the mind battle, stop and think about what you are thinking about. Don't focus on the negative we should be a people that seek out the best in every situation.

2. Stop planning your defeat: we may say if this (a situation) does not go my way I am gonna get so mad ( react in a specific way). In this way we create negativity even before the outcome. When things actually don't go our way we get upset and in anger we say and do things that is not done in love. Let us dictate our feelings towards disappointment and not having our way upfront, no negative responses. In this way we allow a new mind set, a default setting to be formed.

3. Walk in love 1 Corinthians 13 1 - 8. These scripture verses are so powerful. If we walk in love daily our feelings cannot defy us. Meditate on these scriptures daily. Each point can speak to every situation that we would encounter helping us to conquer negativity. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV).

4. Know that you already have the mind of Christ and we have Christ in us: our identity. The word of God says that the fruit of the spirit is Love, Joy, peace, kindness, meekness, self control... These are all the attributes we must possess. When negative feelings step in, question yourself. Is this response in love? joy? Self control? Kindness? I assure you that this will calm your spirt and mind and assist in your response. 

5. Renewing your minds daily. Negative feelings are built based on pass hurt and experiences. If we look at each day as a new slate ( keep no record of wrong) we are able to take a fresh perspective daily on what we are experiencing. Matthew 7: 12 speaks of us treating others the same way we would like to be treated. I believe that if you want something from someone the best way to get it is to give them what you want ; love, peace, kindness, respect you name it, be what you want to see happen in your relationships. It can be hard but I can testify that it works.
I had experienced hurt in my life that I did not think that the person that hurt me deserved to be forgiven. God spoke to me on day he said Del you need to forgive and release this bitterness. The only way to do this is to love that person as I have outlined in my word. I really struggled with this but obeying this teaching helped me to forgive and still also find a place in my heart for that person. Bless God for his restoration power!

6. Realise when the opposite to what you are praying for arises. It's only a distraction to get you to doubt God. Peter wanted so much to walk on water and he indeed did. However when the winds came (feelings, opposition, distraction) he took his focus off of the promise, Jesus and focus on the winds. No matter what you are experiencing the opposite will step in, in this moment you have a choice, do I focus on those opposites and take my eye off the promise. If we live life knowing that opposite will come and not to focus on it we will have an automatic change in perspective. We are then able to focus on what really matters. 

Remember that daily we have to fight once we overcome, our default settings will be a character that does not look at the negative but focus on the positive.

Gods blessings to you in this Christmas season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment